Monday, April 12, 2010

Pure Genius...just...ugh

Yesterday, a friend told me about the latest YouTube sensation, Pomplamousse, and I can't stop listening to them now.  Their specialty is the VideoSong, which basically lets us see the entire recording process.  They pick a song, record it, and edit, and post the video all in less than a week.  No record labels, just complete artistic freedom. These are the rules as explained by one-half of the duo:

1. What you see is what you hear (no lip-syncing for instruments or voice).
2. If you hear it, at some point you see it (no hidden sounds).

The pair is made up of Nataly Dawn and Jack Conte.  She has a beautiful, creamy voice, and he--well he's just a musical genius.  While I encourage you to check out Pomplamousse, I'm a little more awestruck by Jack Conte, who I'm assuming is the one behind the whole VideoSong idea.  The following video doesn't show his abilities to the full extent, but I'm in love with the style.

But if you really want to see what he can do, I suggest this Radiohead/Chopin mashup.

No comments:

Post a Comment